Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Social Services Care Package

When I was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome I received a detailed twelve page diagnostic report. The main recommendation was that I needed to get a lot of personal and individual help to find a job, because having a job would make me feel less socially isolated and give me a purpose to my life. It didn't happen though; instead I received an extensive, and expensive, care package consisting of immediately getting my benefits increased and a free mobility travel pass, time to spend with a support worker one day a week, days out with another support worker, and an annual budget to spend on trips to the theatre. 

This care package isn't really what I want, or need, at all; I just need to be employed...it's as simple as that. However there is no alternative on offer and so I have to accept things as they are; my life is definitely better than it was before my diagnosis - it's just not the life I think I should be living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment